Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jeremiah 15: 16 - 20 Jeremiah's third confession

Your words were found and I ate then, and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart. I have been called by your name, O Lord God of hosts. I did not sit in the circle of merrymakers, nor did I exult. Your hand is upon me, and I sit alone. You have also filled me with indignation. Why have my pain been perpetual and my wound incurable? Will you indeed be to me like a deceptive stream with water that is unreliable? Therefore, thus says the Lord "If you return, then I will restore you. Before Me you will stand; and if you extract the precious from the worthless, you will become my spokesman. They for their part may turn to you, but as for you, you must not turn to them. Then I will make you to this people a fortified wall of bronze; and though they fight against you, they will not prevail over you. For I am with you to save you and deliver you," declares the Lord of Hosts.

In these verses, Jeremiah pours out his heart to God by telling him that he needs God to be faithful to him when he is before the people. God was testing Jeremiah, but explains to Jeremiah that he must gird up his own loins before he will be effective before the people. God reminds him that he is a chosen instrument of Yahweh, just as Moses was before him. He fortifies him by reassuring him that the crowds will not prevail against his own spokesman. Therefore he commands him to bring the best out of his people and to set aside concern for personal safety, because God is with him.

Daily Prayer: Father, I know very well that I often times try to please you from my own flesh, even when there is nothing in my flesh that pleases you. The hard part for me is to step out on faith, knowing that when I walk by the Spirit, I will overcome by that which is in the flesh. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: