Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Song of Solomon 2:16, 3:1-5 The second poem

My beloved is mine and I am his; he pastures his flock among the lilies until the cool of the day when the shadows flee away. While in bed at night, I reached for the one I love with heart and soul. I looked for him, but he wasn't there. So I searched through the town for the one I love. I looked on every street, but he wasn't there. I even asked the guards patrolling the town, "Have you seen the one I love so much?" Right after that, I found him. I held him and would let go until I had taken him to the home of my mother. Young women of Jerusalem, promise me by the power of deer and gazelles, never to awaken love before it is ready.

The phrase "my beloved is mine and I am his," is reminiscent of the phrase "So shall you be my people, and I will be your God." (Jeremiah 11:4) Then it is night time in the city and the lover is absent, and the beloved searches for him until she finds him. The speaker is the beloved. United in love with the one she loves, she looks back, recalling her first fruitless search, and what happened then and her second failed attempt to find him; then at her third attempt -success. This describes the trial she has undergone; she overcomes, thanks to her perseverance. If you want to stay close to Christ, you must seek out suffering and do not fear it. Sometimes Christ is sooner and will come out to meet you, and he will not allow temptations to threaten you for long.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, you must be my first agenda. When trouble comes and it wall just as you said, I won't fear, because you have overcome the world. Amen.

No comments: