Total Pageviews

Friday, June 3, 2011

Ecclesiastes 6: 4 - 7 The Futility of man apart from God

If a man lives a thousand years twice and does not enjoy good things - do not all go the one place? All of man's labor is for his mouth and yet the appetite is not satisfied. What advantage does the wise man have over the fool? What advantage does the poor man have knowing how to walk before the living? What the eyes see is better than what the soul desires. Whatever exists has already been named, and it is known what man is; for he cannot dispute with him who is stronger than he is.

The Preacher recognizes that material blessing is only temporary. He also observes that man desires more than what he needs for a healty soul. Man cannot control his own destiny. It is said that he comes into the world in futility and goes into obscurity and his name is forgotten.
Our place in life has already been established by God. To some he gives wealth and honor and others sickness and trouble. But the result in the end is the same for all - ashes to ashes. Yet God did not intend man's existence to be worthless or void. The problem is that we try to evaluate all things from our perspective and our own advantage, when the reason for our existence is for God and His glory.

Daily Prayer: Father, I am not my own because I was bought with a price. The price is high which is the redeeming blood of Jesus Christ. Now I can rest in him, because he will take care of me and I will have nothing lacking, but I must trust him greater than I trust myself. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: