Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Song of Solomon 5: 2 - 8 The Fourth Poem

I was asleep, but dreaming: The one I love was at the door knocking and saying, "My darling, my very own, my flawless dove, open the door for me! My head is drenched with evening dew." But I had already undressed and bathed my feet. Should I dress again and get my feet dirty?
Then my darling's hand reached to open the latch, and my heart stood still. When I rose to open the door, my hands and fingers dripped with perfume. My heart stood still while he spoke to me, but when I opened the door, my darling disappeared. I searched and shouted, but I could not find him - there was no answer. Then I was found by the guards patrolling the town and guarding the wall. They beat me up and stripped off my robe. Young women of Jerusalem, if you find the one I love, please say to him. "She is weak with desire."

The text is pointing out that when love knocks, we must answer promptly, and ot with words only, but with our whole being - words and gestures. That is how the fathers interpreted it: "Blessed is the one at whose door Christ comes to call. Our door is our faith; if it is strong, the whole house will be safe. Christ will enter by this door. That is why the church sings in the Son of Songs: Listen! My beloved is knocking. Listen to how he calls, how he wants to enter: Open to me, my sister, my dove, for my head is wet with dew, my hair with rains of night.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, allow me and help me to surrender every part of my life to you. I know your love is pure, but my love is tainted with selfishness. So purify me by your spirit to give me the power to give up to myself and receive all of you. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: