Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ecclesiastes 9: Men are in the hand of God

There was a small city with few men in it and a great king came to it, surrounded it and constructed large siege works against it. But there was found in it a poor wise man and he delivered the city by his wisdom. Yet no one remembered that poor man. So I said, "Wisdom is better than strength." But the wisdom of the poor man is despised and his words are not heeded. The words of the wise heard in quietness are better than weapons of war, but one sinner destroys much good.

Romans 5:12 offers the New Testament application of this part of Ecclesiastes, "Through one man sin came into the world and death through sin. So through one man's disobedience many were made sinners, by one man's obedience many are made righteous." This is the Christian response to the Preacher as he acknowledges the vanity of life this side of heaven. We were given an example by Jesus Christ. The example is to walk by the Spirit so that we do not fulfill the desires of the flesh. This is a higher level of living that separates us from beasts. We can come to know God and his will for me and you as we walk and rule for God on earth.

Daily Prayer: Father, it is the walk that makes a man a Christian. To those who are perishing, your ways are foolishness, but to those who are saved it is the power of God. I am not of the world, but I am in the world. So as I live out my years, by your power, let me live them for you.
In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: