Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jeremiah 31: 31 - 34 The New Covenant

"Behold, days are coming," declares the Lord, "when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant which I made with their fathers in the day I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. My covenant which they broke, although I was a husband to them," declares the Lord. "But this covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days," declared the Lord, "I will put my law within them and on their heart I will wright it down; and I will be their God and they shall be my people. They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, ,'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the Lord. "I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."

The covenant God made with their fathers was the Law of Moses. This agreement rewarded obedience and cursed disobedience. The ultimate curse is the removal from the land which happened to both Israel and Judah. The Law of Moses was not given with the expectation of people honoring it and obeying it. Instead it is a school teacher to expose men's sins and point them to Jesus Christ, who is the Savior of the World. Although the covenant was between God and Israel, all people were grafted in with the coming of Jesus Christ. Through him, all men now have access to God and to the forgiveness of their sins through his substitution death on the cross.

Daily Prayer: Truly Father, the New Covenant is the great gift you have for all people. It is great because it includes Jesus Christ to fulfill the Law and to make me righteous before you because Jesus died for me. Now I and all people who approach the throne of grace can call you Abba, Father, because Jesus has turned us from strangers and aliens into sons and daughters of the Most High. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: