Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Song of Solomon 8: 5-7 The Epilog of the song

"Who is this coming up from the wilderness leaning on her beloved?" Beneath the apple tree I awakened you. There your mother was in labor with you, and she was in labor and gave you birth. Put me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm. Love is as strong as death and jealousy is as severe as Sheol. Its flashes are flashes of fire which is the very flame of the Lord. Many waters cannot quench love, nor will rivers overflow it. If a man were to give all the riches of his house for love, he would be utterly despised.

These verses form the conclusion of the story-line of the song. They describe the supreme language of love. The words of the first part repeat the idea that the beloved is purified. It obviously connotes Israel as well. The second part shows that, in love, the words and feelings of each form into one which is the consummation of love between them. This sets the scene for the message that belonging to the other is much deeper than mere support and embrace. Love marks the other person indelibly; it leaves its imprint on the very heart.

Daily Prayer: Father, you chose in your creation to share some of your attributes with me. Love is the greatest gift you have given. When I was young, I was worried that I may not find love. In your wisdom you led me along the path to find my life time partner that I celebrate today. Then you enhanced this gift by giving us children to care for and to love and to be loved by them in return. You are a mighty and generous God. Amen.

No comments: