Total Pageviews

Monday, June 13, 2011

Isaiah 7: 10-17 The Child Immanuel

Then the Lord spoke again to Ahaz saying, "Ask a sign for yourself from the Lord your God; make it deep as Sheol or high as heaven." But Ahaz said, "I will not ask, nor will I test the Lord."
Then he said, "Listen now, O house of David. Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of God as well? The Lord himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call his name Immanuel. He will eat curds and honey at the time he knows enough to refuse evil and choose good. Before the boy will know enough to refuse evil and choose good, the land whose two kings you dread will be forsaken."

The context of the prophecy of the savior is that the kings of Israel and Aram were planning to wage war against King Ahaz of Judah. They had planned a siege of Jerusalem when King Ahaz is revealed this stunning revelation by God. Here,God prophecies the coming of a son whose name will be Immanuel which means God with us. He also forecasts the plumage of the Kingdom of Israel and the Kingdom of Aram who will be thrown down by the Assyrian Empire. The church recognizes this prophecy as the revealing of the incarnate Son of God who is Jesus Christ our Lord.

Daily Prayer: Holy Father, often time I do not know the beginning from the end. But you in your sovereignty sent the Son of God to visit us so that your full revelation may be known. In my time, I have God in me which is the Holy Spirit whom Jesus Christ sent to be with me. Let him guide me and the church this day. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: