Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Song of Solomon 3:11; 4:16 The Third Poem

Go forth O daughters of Zion and gaze on King Solomon with the crown which his mother has crowned him on the day of his wedding and on the day of his gladness. "How beautiful you are, my darling. Your eyes are like doves behind your veil; your hair is like a flock of goats that have descended from Mount Gilead. Make my garden breathe out fragrance. Let its spices be wafted abroad. May my beloved come into his garden and eat its choice fruits."

The spousal covenant between God and Israel is a theme that recurs in prophetical literature, and it is extended by the fathers who read these verses as having to do with the betrothal of Christ to his church on the cross. Saint Hippolytus, Origen and others offer that interpretation: The Word of God descended from heaven to unite himself with his spouse. He died willingly for her sake, to make her glorious and immaculate through the baptism of purification. For if he had not done so, the Church could not have given birth to her believers, nor have seen them born again in the waters of new life.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, you came into the world to unite yourself to sinners like me. You did not let me remain a sinner, but instead made me clean by the shedding of your blood. You did this so that I can have a new life which is a life of hope. Let me now live a life of appreciation for all that you have done for me and your church. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: