Total Pageviews

Monday, June 6, 2011

Song of Solomon 1:7 First Poem - the encounter

Tell me, O you whom my soul loves, where do you pasture your flock and where do you make it lie down at noon? For why should I be like one who veils herself beside the flocks of your companions?

Contemplating Jesus Christ as the lover and good shepherd, Saint Gregory of Nyssa composed this beautiful prayer in connection with this passage. Tell me where your pastures are, good shepherd, you who carry all the flock upon your shoulders. Show me the place of rest, lead me to lush meadows and call me by my name so that I, your sheep, may hear your voice, and the sound of your voice give me eternal life. Tell me, love of my soul, where you pasture your flock. I call you by the name Good Shepherd, because your name is above all names and beyond all understanding - no rational being can say it with its full meaning or understand it completely. Your name is an expression of your goodness and makes known the love my soul has for you. How could I not love you when you have loved me so much? No greater love can be imagined.

Daily Prayer: Indeed Lord, you are the Good Shepherd and the keeper of all who belong to you.
I know your voice and follow you because I was given to you before my birth and will remain with you after my death. No greater love have I ever known. Amen.

No comments: