Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jeremiah 17: 14 - 18 Jeremaih's Fouth Confession

Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed. Save me and I will be saved. This is because you are worthy of praise. Look, they keep saying to me , "Where is the word of the Lord? Let it come now." But as for me, I have not hurried away from being a shepherd after you. Neither have I longed for the woeful day; you yourself know that the utterance of my lips was in your presence. Do not be a terror to me; you are my refuge in the day of disaster. Let those who persecute me be put to shame, but as for me, let me not be put to shame. Let them be dismayed, but let me not be dismayed. Bring on them the day of disaster.

In these verses, Jeremiah is speaking of what other prophets spoke of which is the Day of the Lord. For those who are hypocrits, they long for the Day of the Lord, not realizing it is also the day of their own judgment. This is why Jeremiah was not zealous for that day. Instead he realizes that God favors the ones who are shepherds over his people like his servant David. We see this theme also in the New Testament. There, many come up to Jesus and say, "Lord, did I not prophecy for you and do many good deeds in your name?" Jesus replies, "Truely, I never knew you. Dapart from me you lawless ones." Jesus is saying that what God desires is a true relationship with the People of God, not those who seek honor for themselves through their service.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, the New Covenant is much safer for your people. Nobody can honor you by trying to keep the law, because we are not able to do it. Because of the cross, now those who receive you can be hidden in you, because you give your followers your righteousness to protect them in the day of trouble. In your name we pray Amen.

No comments: