Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lamentations 2: 1, 9, 11, 14, and 17 God's Anger over Israel

How the Lord has covered the daughter of Zion with a cloud in his anger! He has cast from heaven to earth the glory of Israel. He has not remembered his footstool in the day of his anger.
Her gates have sunk into the ground, and he has destroyed and broken her bars. Her king and her princes are among the nations, and her prophets find no vision from the Lord. My eyes fail because of tears, my spirit is greatly troubled. My heart is poured out on the earth because of the destruction of the daughter of my people. Even little ones and infants faint in the streets of the city. Your prophets have seen for you false and foolish visions; and they have not exposed your iniquity so as to restore you from captivity, but instead have seen for you false and misleading oracles. The Lord has done what he purposed; he has accomplished his word which he commanded from the days of old. He has thrown down without sparing, and he has caused the enemy to rejoice over you.

It is usual for us to think that it was Babylon and King Nebuchadnezzar who triumphed over Judah.
However,God referred to Nebuchadnezzar as "his servant." This is because no harm can come to the people of God without God permitting it. In this case it can be said that God caused it for his purposes of discipline the covenant people. The earlier prophets were sent to her, but Judah refused to listen. The 10 tribes of the Northern Kingdom of Israel went into captivity in Assyria, but Judah did not learn from her. Now God has brought on the day of his vengeance and there is nobody who can stand.

Daily Prayer: Father, I too need to learn from the discipline that you have brought about in my life. Often times your ways are not my ways, or your thoughts my thoughts. But by the power of the Spirit that dwells in me, correct and allow my eyes to see. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: