Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Isaiah 53: 3-7 Lord Jesus: Yahweh's Suffering Servant

He was despised and forsaken of men. A man of sorrows and grief. He is like one from whom men hide their face. He was despised, and we did not esteem him. Surely our griefs he himself bore, and or sorrows he carried; yet we ourselves esteemed him stricken. He was smitten by God and afflicted. He was pierced through for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The chastening for our well-being fell upon him, and by his scourging we are healed.
All of us like sheep have gone astray; each of us has turned to his own way. The Lord has caused the iniquity of us all to fall on him. Yet he did not open his mouth; like a lamb that is led to slaughter, and like a sheep that is silent before its shearers, so he did not open his mouth.

The reason that we can be saved, inherit eternal life, and live with God in heaven is because we inherit the righteousness of Jesus Christ before God. God requires those who dwell with him to be holy, but no man apart from Jesus is holy. The penalty for sin is death. For this reason, Jesus substituted his holy life and gave it up for the forgiveness of our sins. This includes my and your sins and the sins of the world. The Book of Isaiah was used by the Gospel of Mark and Jesus is presented as the Suffering Servant of God.

Daily Prayer: Father, I don't really understand the magnitude of my sin. Even though I intellectually know that Jesus is my sin bearer, I underestimate the out-pouring of blood that he shed for me. I know that Jesus is my personal savior and the savior of the world, but remove the shakels from my eyes that underestimate the worth and the value of placing God on the cross for me. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: