Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ezekiel 34: 2-10: Prophecy against the shepherds of Israel

"Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel. Prophesy and say to those shephrds, 'Thus says the Lord God, "Woe, shepherds of Israel who have been feeding themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flock? You eat the fat and clothe yourselves with the wool, you slaughter the fat sheep without feeding the flock. 'Those who are sickly you have not strengthened, the diseased you have not bound up, the scattered you have not brought back, nor have you sought for the lost; but with force and severity you have dominated them." Therefore you shepherds, hear the word of the Lord: "As I live," declares the Lord God, "surely because my flock has become a prey, my flock has even become food for the beasts of the field for lack of a shepherd, and my shepherds did not search for my flock, but rathter the shepherds fed themselves and did not feed my flock; therefore, you shepherds I am against you and will demand my sheep from you and make them cease from feeding the sheep. I will deliver my flock from their mouth, so that they will not be food for them."

When the Lord refers to the shepherds, he is referring to the priests and the makers of the law.
Those who have governing and religious positions over the many. They were politically and religiously corrupt. The Lord places a high value on the shepherd. He judges his kings by their shepherding ability. The New Testament continues this theme God presents here when Jesus tells the disciples that those who feed the hungry, clothe the needy, take care of the disabled, that when you help the least of these my brothers, you have done it for me.

Daily Prayer: Father, help me to examine myself today. Let me ask the question whether I am a shepherd over my family, my church, and in my community. If I answer the question no, then let me repent and seek you once again on your terms and not mine. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: