Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Ezekiel 24: 15-27 Death of Ezekiel's wife is a sign:

"Son of man, I am about to take from you the desire of your eyes (that is his wife) with a blow, but you shall not mourn and shall not weep for her. Speak to the house of Israel and say, 'I am about to profane my sanctuary which is the desire of your eyes and the delight of your soul, and the sons and daughters you have left behind will fall by the sword. Thus Ezekiel will be a sign for you; according to all that has been done you will do; when it comes, then you will know that I am the Lord God. On that day your mouth will be opened to him who escaped , and you will speak and be mute no longer."

The command for Ezekiel not to mourn for his wife is a silent and profound grief. His wife is a symbol of the temple, of which the people were so proud; no one could have imagined it would be destroyed. Mourning was a function of the person's social status and the regard in which he or she is held. However, Ezekiel was not to weep for his wife; nor should the exiles show any public sign of grief; this would show that the misfortunes that befell Jerusalem were a private affair between themselves and God.

Daily Prayer: Father, grief is real, even in the hearts of believers. Sometimes your ways seem harsh, but I'm sure it is to break our love of the world and direct my love to you. Help me bear the burden of setting aside the world and having unconditional loyalty to you. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: