Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Daniel 4:11-15, 22-26 King Nebuchadnezzar's vision of a large tree:

"Now these were the visions in my mind as I lay on my bed: A tree grew large and became strong, and its height reached to the sky. Its foliage was beautiful, and its fruit abundant. The beasts of the field found shade under it. The birds of the sky dwelt in its branches. I was looking in the visions in my mind and an angelic watcher, a holy one , decended from heaven. He said,
"Chop down the tree and cut off it branches. Strip off its foliage and scatter its fruit. Yet leave the stump with its roots in the ground." Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar replied, "My lord, if only the dream applied to those who hate you and its interpretation to your adversaries.
You are the tree, O King; for you have become great and grown stong. This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree of the Most High. You will be driven away from mankind and your dwelling place be with the beasts of the field, and you will be given grass to eat like cattle and be drenched with the dew of heaven, and seven periods of time will pass over you, until you recognize that the Most High is ruler over the realm of mankind and bestows it on whomever he wishes."

Daniel was renamed Belteshazzar which means "protect the king." Nebuchadnezzar did indeed spend time with the beasts of the field, and become humbled before God. God often referred to him as a servant. This was a good lesson for him. The vision with the tree's stump remaining means that if he becomes humble to God, then God would preserve his kingdom. We will see later that the king's son did not adopt the humility before the Lord and paid the price.

Daily Prayer: Father, I desire to walk humbly before you. I cannot comprehend the extent of your glory, but I do know that you love me, and gave your son for me. This is so that as long as I place my trust in you, I will never be disappointed. Amen.

No comments: