Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2011

Amos 1:1, 4: 1-11 God's five proclamations against Israel:

These are the words of Amos, who was among the sheepherders from Tekoa, which he envisioned in visions concerning Israel, two years before the earthquake. Hear this word, you cows of Bashan who are on the mountain of Samaria. You oppress the poor, and you crush the needy. I gave you cleanness of teeth in all your cities, and lack of bread in all your places, yet you have not returned to me. I withheld the rain from you so two or three cities would stagger to another to drink water, yet you have not returned to me. I smote you with scorching wind and mildew, yet you have not returned to me. I slew your young men by the sword along with your captured horses, yet you have not returned to me.I overthrew you as God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah, yet you would not return to me.

The book of Amos consists of five proclamations (given above), three judgments, and two woes. Amos is a sheepherder who lives outside of Jerusalem in Judah, yet he is sent by God to warn those in the northern kingdom of Samaria. God desires a relationship with his people, but the people were living comfortably in times of prosperity and taking advantage of those who were needy. In these verses, God calls them to account and finds them guilty under the covenant he made with their father's Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Even with God's hand against them, they could not repent and live.

Daily Prayer: Father, you give me many chances to repent of the evil that dwells within me. By the power of the Holy Spirit, whom you have sent to guide me, let me break free from the cords that bind me. In Jesus name and for his sake I pray Amen.

No comments: