Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Hosea 11: 1-2, 5, 8-9 God is faithful to his people:

When Israel was a youth I loved him. And out of Egypt I called my son. The more they called them, the more they went from them. They kept sacrificing to the Baals, and burning incense to idols. They will not return to the land of Egypt, but Assyria will be their king, because they refused to return to me. My heart is turned over within me, and all my compassions are kindled. I will not execute my fierce anger, I will not destroy them, because I am God and not man. (the holy one in their midst).

The first verse in this set is picked up by the New Testament writers as a reference to Jesus being called out of Egypt by his father. In the context of this text, however, it explains that even though God has always been faithful, the Israelites did not trust him so they sacrificed to Baal, who is the god of fertility. God explains that because of their lack of trust in him, they will seek and find another king who is Assyria who is the nation God used to bring Israel out of the land and into captivity. But God remembers his promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and reserves a day for reconciliation.

Daily Prayer: Holy Father, do not cast aside the people of God. Instead give us the power to strive for holy living this side of heaven. Do your work through the Holy Spirit so that when we walk by the Spirit, we will not turn to the flesh for our answers. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: