Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Joel 1: 1-4, 14-16 The Day of the Lord:

The word of the Lord that came to Joel, the son of Pethuel:" Has anything like this happened in your days? Tell your sons about it, and let your sons tell their son, and their sons the next generation." What the gnawing locust has left, the swarming locust has eaten. And what the swarming locust has left, the creeping locust has eaten. What the creeping locust has left, the stripping locust has eaten. Consecrate a fast, and proclaim a solemn assembly. Gather the elders, and all the inhabitants of the land to the house of the Lord your God and cry out the the Lord, because the Day of the Lord is near, and it will come as destruction from the Almighty.

Israel had undergone a locust plague. The prophet Joel says that the Day of the Lord is a time of judgment for his people. He wants them to learn from this devestation and have the generations to come to know about it. The locusts had taken the crop that the poeple depend upon. The Day of the Lord is not a good day where there is reward, but instead it brings judgment on the temporal problems (the food to eat, but also on national problem which is the coming invasion by the Babylonians). He exhorts the people to repent which is evidenced through the fasting and calling upon the name of the Lord their God.

Daily Prayer: Repentance is the turning away from my sin and seeking the Lord my God for my strength to live a holy life before him. Sin has brought terrible problems on us. Sin points my attention to myself instead of to my God who is my Father and Redeemer. As a son of the Most High, I need to learn to walk by the Spirit, so that I do not fulfill the desires of the flesh. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: