Total Pageviews

Friday, February 4, 2011

Tithing to the Lord (Leviticus 27: 28)

Anything that you completely dedicate to me must be completely destroyed. It cannot be bought back or sold. Every person, animal, and piece of property that you dedicate completely is only for me.

When applied to divine worship this ban or anathema means an offering made because of a vow; once offered, the thing can no longer be used to one's own advantage because it is a very holy thing. In the sphere of judicial sanctions, ""laid under ban" applies to every condemned wrongdoer. Therefore a person condenmed to death was "said under law" and could not be used as a servant or put to forced labor. All of these rules contained imperfections which became very clear in the light of the New Testament's precept of love God and neighbor.

Daily Prayer: Father, I recall that Jesus encourages me not to make vows, but let my yes be yes and my no be no. By your Spirit, guide me in these matters. Let me be careful to speak, but when I do, let me be careful to fulfill I have said. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: