Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Firstborn Redeemed (Numbers 3: 8-9, 15, 41)

They(the Tribe of Levi) are to take care of all the furnishings of the tent of meeting, fulfill the obligations of the Israelites by doing the work of the tabernacle. Give the levites to Aaron and his sons; they are the Israelites who are to be given wholly to him. "Count (number) the Levites by their families and clans. Count (number) every male a month old or more." Take the Levites for me in place of all the firstborn of the livestock of the israelites. I am the LORD."

Two important issues are brought out in these passages. First, the manner and care of the duties of the priesthood is exclusively on the Tribe of Levi. Second, it is God's expectation that all first fruits, whether it be from the crops, the cattle, or the wombs of women are God's and his alone. This is in recognition of God's sufficiency to all the people when they depend on him. God made an exception where he accepts the first born of the Levites as his possession instead of the first born of all the tribes. In this way, God is recognized and honored.

Daily Prayer: Father, I recognize that these same principles apply to me today. Though I have no crops, cattle, or rams, I do have the fruit of my labor. My first earnings from the labor of my hand belongs to you because apart from you, I can do nothing. In your holy nane I pray Amen.

No comments: