Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Law of the Nazirites (Numbers 6: 1-6)

The LORD told Moses to say to the people of Israel: If any of you want to dedicate yourself to me by vowing to become a Nazirite, you must no longer drink any wine or beer or use any kind of vinegar. Don't drink grape juice or eat grapes or raisins - not even the seeds or skins. Even the hair of a Nazirite is sacred to me, and as long as you are a Nazirite, you must never cut your hair. During the time that you are a Nazarite, you must never go close to a dead body.

The key to the law of the Nazirites is that this is one whose sole purpose is for God. This dedication can be by the individual or their parents. We will later see that Samuel the prophet is a Nazarite from birth. His mother dedicataed him to be. Later, Samson was revealed as a Nazarite, but he was unfaithful because as you read through Judges, he violates the law for Nazarites by touching dead things and even cutting his hair. In the New Testament, I believe Jesus Christ was a Nazarite. Nobody was more dedicated to the LORD than him. This also explains his long hair and his refusal to drink the wine at the Lord's Table. It seems that the
Yiddish sect of the Jews today follow the Nazirite Law by the long curls they were in their hair.

Daily Prayer: Father, ot seems unusual to see these diatary and hair laws in my culture. In the New Testament we preach to come the way you are! It seems important though to dress ones self in reverance to you as I grow in faith. When I enter into the presence of the Most High, I desire to give my utmost for his highest. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: