Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Lord of Hosts (Josheu 5: 13-15)

One day, Joshua was near Jericho when he saw a man standing some distance in fron of him. The man was holding a sword, so Joshua walked up to him and asked, "Are you on our side or on our enemies side" "Neither," he answered. "I am here because I am the commander of the LORD's army." Joshua fell to his knees and bowed down to the ground. "I am your servant," he said. "Tell me what to do." "Take off your sandals," the commander answered. "This is a holy place." So Joshua took off his sandals.
In this passage, God launches Joshua's period of service with the manifestation of God to him. This connects the ministry of Moses with that of Joshua. With Moses, he saw the appearance of God in a burning bush. Now, as Joshua begins the conquest of the Promised Land, God appears to him as he appeared to Moses. In each case God directs them to take off their sandals because they are standing on holy ground. In the Bible, God has various names. His personal name is Yahweh which translates "I am." This is the name he told to Moses. In this passage, however, God is appearing as a soldier. God presents himself this way. Whenever his mission is conquest, he refers to himself as the Lord of Hosts.
Daily Prayer: Father, you appear to me every day. Not in the form of a vision, but in the existence of your creation and by the "small voice" that speaks to me in the person of the Holy Spirit. I set myself apart to you for your service. Lead me as you have led others in the past. Amen.

No comments: