Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Balak, King of Moab send for the prophet Balaam (Numbers 22: 1-4, 6, 12, 19)

Israel moved from there to the hills of Moab, where they camped across the Jordan River from the town of Jericho. Here King Balak of Moab and his people heard how many Israelites there were and what they had done to the Amorites, he and the Moabites were rerrifed and panicked. King Balak sent a message to Balaam son of Beor who lived among his relatives in the town of Pethor near the Euphrates River, It said: I need your help. A huge group of people has come here from Egypt and settled near my territory. They are too powerful for us to defeat, so would you come and place a curse on them? Balaam answered, "Even if Balak offered me a palace full of silver and gold, I wouldn't do anything to disobey the LORD my God."
The rest of the book of Numbers and all of Deuteronomy is taken up with events on the plains of Moab in front of Jericho, a city which would be the gateway to the Promised Land. Joyful acknowledgment of God's special love for his people underlies the whole story of Balaam. God spoke with Balaam but this detail serves to highlight that God is also god over pagan magi and can use them. God saves his people from both foreign armies and from dark forces of magic.
Daily Prayer: Father, you are a God of light in whom dwells no darkness. You see everything from the heights of heaven to the depths of Hades. You are a God who goes before me and protects my rear. Nobody can deliver from your hand. Into your hands, I commit my life and my trust. Amen.

No comments: