Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The people rebel (Numbers 14: 1-3, 29-30)

After the Israelites heard the report from the twelve men who had explored Canaan the people cried all night and complained to Moses and Aaron, "We wich we had died in Egypt or somewhere out here in the desert! God replies "You sinful people have complained against me too many times! Now I swear by my own life that I will give you exactly what you wannted. You will die right here in the desert, and your dead bodies will cover the ground. You have insulted me, and none of you men who are over twenty years old will enter the land that I solemnly promised to give you as your own - only Caleb and Joshua will go in.
When Israel was in close proximity to Canaan which is the Promised Land, they sent twelve spies to check out the land. They learned that the land promised them was occupied by a strong people and didn't feel adequate to overtake them. Caleb and Joshua were the only ones who understood that God would fight for them. The believed in God's power and the rest failed the test of faith and were disqualified from their inheritance because of lack of belief in the power of God - the same God who brought them out of Egypt with a strong hand. Be careful of what you wish because God gave them the stated desire - to die in the wilderness.

Daily Prayer: Father, it is easy to be critical of others saying that they should have known and believed. I know, however, that I too try to make my own way too many times. Even though I know that apart from you I can do nothing, I still try. Forgive me father and let me live not according to my own strength, by by your strength according to your will. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: