Total Pageviews

Friday, February 25, 2011

God's continued work in the conquest of the land (Joshua 3: 7-8, 13)

The LORD told Josshua, "Beginning today I will show the people that you are their leader, and they will know that I am helping you as I helped Moses. Now, tell the priests who are carrying the chest to go a little way into the river and stand there. Just watch as the sacred chest that belongs to the LORD, the ruler of the whole earth. As soon as the priests carrying the chest step into the Jordan, the water will stop flowing and pile up as if someone had built a dam across the river. The LORD has also said that each of the Twelve tribes should choose one man to represent it.
This chest that the priests are carrying is the ark of the covenant. This is the place where God's glory dwells. It is the second generation of Israelites who are entering the land. Just as their parents were a witness to God's parting the Red Sea in the exodus from Egypt, now Father God wants this new generation to be a witness to his continuing presence and guiding by parting the waters of the Jordan River. By elevating Joshua in front of the people and by working signs and wonders in their midst, God is giving assurance that the Living God is with them and they will surely receive the land.
Daily Prayer: Father, I know that you are still with me because you have given me the spirit of understanding. Miracles don't have to be events like the parting of the Jordan River. The fact that we live and breath and have our being is miracle enough. Let me not be too convinced of any self sufficiency. Instead let my sufficiency be in you who made me and sustains me. Amen.

No comments: