Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The bronze serpent (Numbers 21: 5-8)

The people complained against God and said to Moses, "Did you bring us out of Egypt, just to let us die in the desert? There's no water out here, and we can't sand this awful food! Then the LORD sent poisonous snakes that bit and killed may of them. Some of the people went to Moses and admitted, "It was wrong of us to insult you and the LORD. Now please ask him to make these snakes go away." Moses prayed, and the LORD answered, "Make a snake out of bronze and place it on top of a pole. Anyone who gets bitten can look at the snake and won't die.
This passage in Numbers is interpreted in Wisdom 16: 5-12, where the point is emphasized that it is was not the bronze serpent that cured them but the mercy of God; the serpent was a sign of the salvation which God offers all men. The bronze serpent is mentioned later in the gospel as typifying Christ raised up on the cross, the cause of salvation for those who look at him with faith: "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of man be lifted up; that whosoever believes in him may have eternal life"(Jn 3:14-15).

Daily Prayer: Father, I know that objects are not the source of my strength, but it is my God who delivers me and sustains me. I don't have to try to live, instead I live because of the life that God has placed in my members and in my soul. It is for this that I raise my eyes in praise and faith in he who has brought me this far. It is in your holy name that I pray Amen.

No comments: