Total Pageviews

Monday, February 21, 2011

Moses' last counsel (Deuteronomy 31: 11-13)

Moses told the priests and leaders:

Each year the Israelites must come together to celebrate to Festival of Shelters at the place where the LORD chooses to be worshiped. You must read these laws and teachings to the people at the festival every seventh year, the year when loans do not need to be repaid. Everyone must come - men, women, children, and even the foreigners who live in your towns.
And each new generation will listen and learn to worship the LORD their God with fear and trembling and to do exactly what is said in God's law.
The meaning of the term "Deuteronomy" for which this book is titled means "second time."
Moses had already commanded the generation that was led out of Egypt concerning the laws of the covenant, but now the generation that was born in the wilderness is preparing to enter the land and also need the same instruction as their fathers. The law is one of blessings and cures.
It is a conditional covenant where obedience is blessed and disobedience is cursed. One may ask why it is so hard to obey the law of God, especially in the times of Moses? With the fall of mankind, he developed an independent heart. It is the heart that needs changing. Until God's ways are written on man's hearts, he is bound to stumble.
Daily Prayer: Father, I too need to take what you have said to me and write it on my heart.
I cannot justify myself or find any natural goodness in me. By your son Jesus Christ and by the power of your spirit, I can be helped to acknowledge the only true God over all human kind and agree with your decisions over my life. In Jesus' name I pray Amen.

No comments: