Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Offering first fruits (Deuteronomy 26: 10-12)

Now, LORD, I bring to you the best of the crops that you have given me. After you say these things, place the basket in front of the LORD' s alter and bow down to worship him. Then you and your family must celebrate by eating a meal at the place of worship to thank the LORD your God for giving you such a good harvest. And remember to invite the Levites and the foreigners who live in your town. Every year you are to give ten percent of your harvest to the LORD. But every third year, this ten percent must be given to the poor who live in your town, including Levites, foreignerss, orphans, and widows. That wey, they will have enough to eat.
The prayer of the first fruits offering heightens the contrast between the poverty of the homeless and the prosperity of the rich landowner enjoying his freedom in a land flowing with milk and honey. Now, just after acknowledging the good things received from God, is the right time to imitate the generosity of God and sharing one's wealth with the needy. In other words, the Promised Land should be a benefit to all.
Daily Prayer: Lord, it is true that you bring life-giving rain to both the just and the unjust. You are faithful and I am not. By your word and through your will, implant in me so that I become an imitator of Chirist who loved me and laid down his life for me. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: