Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Matthew 9: 14-15 Sons of the Bridegroom

Then the disciples of John came to Him, asking, “Why do we and the Pharisees fast, but Your disciples do not fast?” And Jesus said to them, “The attendants of the bridegroom cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.

In the New Testament, the church is the symbol for the bride of Christ and Christ is the bridegroom. The purpose of fasting is not to lose weight, but to draw spiritual energy by depriving the flesh. In this instance, both Christ and His disciples understand each other. Now along come the disciples of John the Baptist. Because they do not belong to Christ their only other identity is with his adversary the Pharisees. They call into question the piety of Jesus’ disciples, but without a clue because they are not a part of his family. So Jesus reproves them and asks if they should be fasting while he is among them? In other words, they can draw spiritually energy from me right now, because I am with them, but the time will come when I return to the Father and then they will need to use other means to draw strength.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, you have blessed me in every way. Even though you have returned to the Father, you have given me a Helper in the person of the Holy Spirit. Now He comes along side me to strengthen me and uphold me. Bless you and the Father who sent him. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: