Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Matthew 10:33-39 Jesus Demands First Place In Your Life

But whoever denies me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven. “Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; and A MAN’S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD. “He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of Me. And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of Me. He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake will find it.

The point that Jesus is making is for you to be a disciple, you cannot have any relationships that compete with your relationship with him. In the same way, to be one of his own, you cannot have any priorities that are higher than your priority with him. This is why he says to not value your own life more than you value me. If you value me more than your own life, then your life will be spared. You cannot value family more, or certainly they will be taken away. But he who values Jesus more than anything then to that person, they will lose nothing.

Daily Prayer: Father, let me be strengthened in my spirit so that my spirit is greater than my flesh and my spiritual health gains at my flesh’s expense. Amen.

No comments: