Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Micah 1: 1, 5-7 God's First Lawsuit against Israel:

The word of the Lord which came to Micah in the days of Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah, which he saw concerning Samaria and Jerusalem. All this is for the rebellion of Jacob and for the sins of the house of Israel. What rebellion of Jacob? Is it not Samaria? What is the high place of Judah? Is it not Jerusalem? I will make Samaria a heap of ruins in the open country. I will pour her stones down into the valley and will lay bar her foundations. All of idols will be smashed, and all her earnings will be burned with fire. All her images I will make desolate because she collected them from a harlot's earnings, and to the earnings of the harlot they will return.

The Book of Micah is styled after a law-suit where God is bringing his charges against his covenant people the Jews in Israel and in Judah. While his allegations are against all Jews, it is more intended for the House of Israel whose capital is Samaria. She was the most vile, because her first king who was Jeroboam introduced the people to idolatry so that they would not make visits to Jerusalem in Judah for worship. The successors to Jeroboam followed in his suit and it continued up until the time of Israel's exile at the hand of the Assyrians. God states clearly that he is holy and reminds them of his deliverance of this people to be a people of his own possession.
But they violated God and he is pronouncing their judgment.

Daily Prayer: Father, I seek your guiding hand. By your Spirit, teach me to know and understand repentance in my own life. Allow me to walk wisely and in humility before you, depending on you and not money for all of my needs. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: