Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Haggai 2: 2-3, 6-9 the Glory of the Second Temple

"Speak now to Zerubbabel, the governor of Judah, and to Joshua the High Priest, and to the remnant of the people saying who is left among you who saw this temple in its former glory? How do you see it now? Does it not seem to you like nothing in comparison? Once more in a little while, I am going to shake the heavens and the earth, the sea also and the dry land. I will shake all the nations, and they will come with the wealth of all nations, and I will fill this house with glory. The latter glory of this house will be greater than the former, and in this place, I will give peace," declares the Lord of hosts.

God was instructing his prophet concerning his people. God heard the weeping of some of the elders when they recalled the majesty of Solomon's Temple in comparison of the proposed Second Temple. God is reassuring his people that majesty can only be found where his glory is found. God's glory never rested in Solomon's Temple in the same way, because Solomon was not faithful to God, even though he treated him as a son. To this group called the remnant, God is promising that he will dwell in this temple and let his peace reign over it. He will also bring the nations to Zion, and she will be the desire of the nations as they bring their gifts there.

Daily Prayer: Father, in my time the temple of the Lord is my body. This is where you place the Holy Spirit as long as I am one of the remnant who is saved by you. However, you glory and peace cannot be found there, unless I yield my will to yours. When I do, my body will be a place of peace and honor with service to you. Amen.

No comments: