Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Habakkuk 3: 17-19 waiting on God in days of distress:

Though the fig tree should not blossom, and there be no fruit on the vines; though the yield of the olive should fail; and the fields produce no food; though the flock should be cut off from the fold, and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord. I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength, and he has made my feet like hinds' fee, and makes me walk on my high places.

The message of the whole book of Habakkuk is one of faith. Faith depends totally on the object of its faith. To the prophet, the object of his faith is God alone. Faith does not depend on what you can see. That is why we use the express "walk by faith and not by sight." In these verses, he notes that if the produce didn't yield its crops, he still depends of the God of his salvation or his life. This statement reminds us of what we read in Job. In that case, God allowed Satan to strike Job in order to test his faith. His wife said to curse God and die. But Job replied that we should not only expect blessing from the hand of God.

Daily Prayer: Father, we are utterly dependent on you. Apart from you, we can do nothing. It is sin that dampened our ability to think as we ought. But that God for our Lord Jesus Christ who made a way where there wasn't a way for us to be reconciled to you, and have eternal life. It is in Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: