Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Passover as a prelude to the Cross (Exodus 11:4-6)

Moses went to the the king and said: I have come to let you know what the LORD is going to do. About midnight he will go through the land of Egypt, and wherever he goes, the first-born son in every family will die. Your own son will die, and so will the son of the lowest slave woman. Even the first-born males of cattle will die. Everywhere in Egypt there will be loud crying. Nothing like this has ever happended before or will ever happen again.

As we already noticed, certain people and events prefigure a later similar happening. So it is with the final judgment that God directs against Egypt so that he can usher his people out of Egypt and send them to the land of promise. We learn that all first born will die at the hands of the angel of death. This breaks the will of the king to where he wants and releases the Israeli forced laborers. While all first born in Egypt were put to death, the Jews placed blood on their door post and the angel of death passed over these families. Remember God directed Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac, but because of Abraham's obedience, God withheld his hand. In the fullness of times, God will present his only son Jesus Christ and not withhold his hand so that he dies as a sacrifice for many.

Daily Prayer: Father, you have given the greatest sacrifice in your giving up your son so that I may live. Because of this, you make his name greater than any other name and put all things under his authority. Your only request is that I yield to him in the decisions of my life. While I agree with him about all things, I still do stumble and fail on my part. I ask your forgiveness in his name and ask that you continue to transform my personality to not only agree with him, but obey him. In his holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: