Total Pageviews

Friday, January 7, 2011

The Binding of Isaac (Genesis 22: 2, 9-12)

The LORD said, "Go get Isaac, your only son, the one you dearly love. Take him to the land of Moriah, and I will show you a mountain where you must sacrifice him to me on the fires of an altar." When they reached the place that God had told him about; Abraham built an altar and placed the wood on it. Next, he tied up his son and put him on the wood. He then took the knife and got ready to kill his son. But the LORD's angel shouted from heaven, "Abraham! Abraham!" "Here I am!" he answered. "Don't hurt the boy or harm him in any way!" the angel said. "Now I know that you truly obey God, because you were willing to offer him your only son."

This is one of many events which prefigure another. What God asked from Abraham is that as his father, give him up for me. This is the very thing that God did when Jesus Christ, his only begotton son. It is a test of faith, one that Abraham passed. It was by faith that this promised son was born of a barren womb. It is by faith that he gave it all back to God who has taken him this far. Now, God again renews his oaths to Abraham. The place for this holy testing is Mount Moriah which in years to come will be the place for the First Temple which is the most holy place in Zion.

Daily Prayer: Father, I come to you as I am. You knew me before I was in my mother's womb with all my potentials and weaknesses. Use them as you see fit for your glory. Amen.

No comments: