Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

The call of Moses (Exodus 3:14)

God said to Moses: I am the eternal God. So tell them that the LORD, whose name is "I Am," has sent you. This is my name forever, and it is the name thata people must use from now on.

In this chapter, God has called Moses to lead the Israelites out of bondage in Egypt. Moses, after confessing that he is not a fluent man asks the LORD his name. God replies that his name is I Am, and to call him by that name. As we shall later learn, God does not like anything including a name to fashion him by. Tradition has it that Enosh, a grandson of Adam called God I Am (also rendered in Hebrew "Yahweh"). God is reluctant to provide a name by which men or diviners may use to try to invoke his name and capture his power. The ancient Hebrews out of fear to Yahweh use "YHWH" when writing his name for fear of misusing it by writing it. God's transcendence is demonstrated when YHWH implies that I Am the one you cannot know or that I Am unnamable. He is also explaining that I Am is his essence. His essence is God. From the Hebrew verb "hwh" (to be) God is revealing himself as the one who causes things to come into existence as creator. In the Christian Bible, whenever the text uses Yahweh, our Bible records it as LORD.

Daily Prayer: In my day, I have been more intimate with you because of your revealing your son Jesus Christ to me. This bridges the gap between heaven and earth and now because I am accepted as a child of God, I can rightfully call you father. This is good and acceptable. I revere you as father, creator, and my all in all. Belief comes by opening my eyes and seeing the great and wondrous things you have done.No longer does one need to pursue you, because Jesus came in your stead and revealed his glory, the only begotton of the father, full of grace and truth.
Amen.

No comments: