Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Do Not Take Thoughtless Oaths (Leviticus 5: 4 - 6)

If anyone thoughtlessly takes an oath to do anything, whether good or evil (in any matter one might carelessly swear about) even though they are unaware of it, but then they learn of it and realize their guilt - when anyone becomes aware that they are guilty in any of these matters, they must confess in what way they have sinned. As a penalty for the sin they have committed, they must bring to the LORD a female lamb or goat from the flock as a sin offering; and the priest shall make atonement for them for their sin.

The taking of rash oaths was something that Jesus also criticized (cf. Mt 5:36); he, for his part, exhorted people to sincerity - to tell the truth at all times, avoiding any need to back up one's words by oath; "Let what you say be simply, 'Yes' or 'No"; anthing more than this comes from evil."
In order to atone for sins one first needed to declare oneself guilty of them. This practice of humble acknowledgment of personal faults seems to have applied to all sin offerings (cf. Num 5:7). It was said down that that form of acknowledgment of guilt should take place on Yom Kippur, the day of atonement.

Daily Prayer: Father I do confess that I am a sinner and fall short of the holiness required from you. I am thankful that you sent your son Jesus Christ to become righteousness for me by my faith and belief in him. Now, I can come to you as a son as I do today bringing all my cares to you because you care for me. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: