Total Pageviews

Friday, January 28, 2011

The Day of Atonement (Leviticus 16: 3, 5, 7- 8)

Before entering the most holy place, you must offer a bull as a sacrifice for your sins and a ram as a sacrifice to please me. Then the community of Israel will bring you a ram and two goats, both of them males. The goats are to be used as sacrifices for sin, and the ram is to be used as a sacrifice to please me. Then you will lead the two goats into my presence from of the sacred tent, where I will show you which goat will be sacrifeced to me and which one will be sent into the desert of the demon Azazel.

This is the origin of the term we still use today called "scapegoat." A scapegoat is one which bears the iniquity of another. This practice began with the Jewish time of atonement called by them to be the festival of Yom Kippur. This is another prefigure of times to come. In later times, God will send his Son to be the sin bearer for all people who come to him by faith. Atonement is the practice of making right all the wrongs so that people can be restored to God.

Daily Prayer: Father, certainly I am sinful and deserve you wrath and your punishment. Thank you Father, for sending Your Son to take away my sins and the sins of the world. No greater love is there than this as one who lays down his life for his friends. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: