Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

God stretches out his hand (Exodus 7: 1, 3-4)

The LORD said:

I am going to let your brother Aaron speak for you. He will tell your message to the king, just as the prophet speaks my message to the people. But I willl make the king so stubborn that he won't listen to you. He won't listen even when I do many terrible things to him and his nation. Then I will bring a final punishment on Egypt, and the king will let the Israel's familes and tribes go.

In this message, God is speaking in first person so as to express his will. Here, God is speaking directly to Moses who in turn gives the message to his brother Aaron to speak to the Pharaoh. The message is one of divine judgment. God is pronouncing a series of signs and wonders against Egypt intended to release the Israelites from bondage in Egypt. It goes on to say that God will harden the Pharoah's heart. This is because God wants Israel, Egypt, and all of the surrounding nations to see the might and glory of God Almighty. It is sending a message all the way to Canaan, the Land of Promise, which God is with his people the Israelites and he will fight for them.

Daily Prayer: Father, you are an awesome and wondrous God. Nobody can deliver out of your hand. You build up and also tear down. You make alive and you kill. Woe is he who doesn't honor you. Yet, you want my honor to come forth from love and it does. Help me to trust in you to both go before me and be my rear guard in life's battles. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: