Total Pageviews

Friday, January 21, 2011

God Proclaims Sabbath Rest For His Creation (Exodus 23: 10-12)

The Code of the Covenant which began with a set of laws dealing with religious matters now ends with laws dealing with worship on the sabbath and on pilgrimage feasts. The word sabbath is from the Hebrew word Shabat which means cessation. God's creation is to imitate God who did his creation in six days, but rested on the sabbath. As God creates a people for his own, the Israelites will be found guilty of not giving the land its rest. It is a matter of trusting in God. If you do not trust in God's faithfulness to supply your needs, you will work the land the seventh year, over and over again. So it was with the Jews in Judah. Because they would not rest the land, God removed them from it and sent them into captivity in Babylon so that the land could rest for the sabbaths missed.

Daily Prayer: Lord, I too am guilty of this same lack of trust. Although you have shown that every moment of my life you are faithful, I am faithless in my conviction in your faithful hand. Forgive me Father, by the blood of Jesus. Arouse your Spirit who dwells within me to teach me and guide me into your truth so that I may be an imitator of my Father who is my all in all. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: