Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Matthew 8:18-22 The Cost Of Discipleship

Now when Jesus saw a crowd around Him, He gave orders to depart to the other side of the sea. Then a scribe came and said to Him, “Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go.” Jesus said to him, The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head.” Another of the disciples said to Him, “Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father.” But Jesus said to him, Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead.

Sometimes the words of Jesus sting. He recognizes that it is easier to say that they will be his disciples when there is no hardship or trouble. He explains to them that He as their leader has no definite place even to slumber. Others seek to give him conditional support by saying, “First let me…” Jesus says to be my disciple that nothing, even the death of your loved ones can come first. The cost of salvation is free, whereas to be His disciple costs everything.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, let me be equipped by You to be a loyal follower of You. Help me to surrender all parts of my life so that I need not say I will follow you but…

In Your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: