Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Matthew 3: 13-15 the Baptism of Jesus

Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to prevent him. "I need you to baptize me", he said. "Surely you do not come to me?" But Jesus replied, "It is right for us to meet all the Law's demands - let it be so now."

In this scene, John’s mission in the Jordan River was to take sinners and baptize them for repentance of their sins. John’s role was to make straight the way of the Lord. However Jesus comes to John for baptism. John thinks, “How can this be so?” Jesus reassures him that it is good to baptize him because he is our example in life and he does this to fulfill all righteousness. This event is also the starting point of Jesus’ earthly ministry that begins here and leads to the Cross at Calvary.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, you are my example from which I can learn. As we begin this study of the words spoken by you for our benefit, let them open up the truth in me and affect the way I view and live my life. In your holy name I pray Amen.


No comments: