Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Matthew 5:38-42 Greater than the Golden Rule

“You have heard that it was said, ‘AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.’ But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

The Golden Rule says that we should do unto others as we would want them to do unto ourselves. This is the rule for getting along in a community. The problem is that from the time of our birth, we are inclined toward self-centeredness. So how does one overcome this propensity toward serving self to acting as one who serves others? The answer is that one ought to be born again, but this time not a birth in the flesh, but one that is born of the spirit. By taking on the Spirit of God, one loses this self centered behavior and acts out God’s behavior toward others, which is the giving of one’s self which is one-dimensional for the benefit of the other. It is greater than the Golden Rule because this selfless giving is one way, reward is not expected.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, help me to surrender my will to you. By doing this, I will live a life under your protection and rule and I will for the first time be free from my desire of serving myself. It is far better to give than receive. Give me the power to accomplish this. In your name I pray Amen.

No comments: