Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Matthew 5:17-20 the Relationship of Christ to the Law

Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. “For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

In our time, Christians are not under the Law of Moses. It was intended for the covenant people of God who are the Jews. Our Savior who is Jesus Christ is also Jewish and He came into the world subject to the Law. He freed us from it by fulfilling it perfectly. Now our only law is the Law of Christ which is our unconditional love for the Father and the love of our neighbor in a greater way than love of ones own self. Jesus says love shreds the bonds of the Law, because those who show forth love need no correction.

Daily Prayer: Father, show forth love in my own life. Let me live a humble life thinking more of others than of my own self. In Jesus name I pray Amen.


No comments: