Total Pageviews

Friday, January 6, 2012

Matthew 4: 18-20 the First Disciples

Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.

The Sea of Galilee is a large lake with various fishing communities surrounding it. Jesus told Peter and Andrew to leave their fishing business to become "fishers of men," to help others find God. Jesus was calling them away from their business to help the souls of men. If we are followers of Jesus, by our life and through our words we can help lead others to Jesus Christ. These men already knew about Jesus, because they had heard him before. They had heard Jesus speak before so they knew what kind of man he was. This time, though, he was calling them by name and they followed him on his mission permanently.

Daily Prayer: Lord Jesus, keep me in pursuit of your great commission. By your spirit, lead me so that I participate in the making of disciples where ever I may be. Let not my own sins burden me, but instead forgive and forget them so that I may be used by God for your sake. Amen.

No comments: