Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Revelation 3:14-17 Messages to Laodicea

“To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God, says this: ‘I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot; I wish that you were cold or hot. So because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of My mouth. Because you say, “I am rich, and have become wealthy, and have need of nothing,” and you do not know that you are wretched and miserable and poor and blind and naked.

It is thought that the Laodiceans were being criticized for their neutrality or lack of zeal (hence "lukewarm"). Based on this understanding, the pejorative term Laodicean is used in the English language to refer to those neutral or indifferent in matters of faith.[

The words attributed to the Laodicea’s obviously mark an ironic over-confidence in regard to spiritual wealth. They are unable to recognize their bankruptcy. However the image may also be drawing on the perceived worldly wealth of the city.

Daily Prayer: Father-God, let me and my house be characterized with the zeal that you have trained up the church with. Let is in all humility pattern our actions and our thoughts after Jesus Christ who loved us and came to save us. In Jesus name I pray Amen.

No comments: