Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Solomon succeeds David as king over all of Israel (1 Kings 1:17, 32-34)

She said to him, "My lord, you yourself swore to me your servant by the LORD your God: 'Solomon your son shall be king after me, and he will sit on my throne.' King David said, "Call in Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet and Benaiah son of Jehoiada." When they came before the king, he said to them: "Take your lord's servants with you and have Solomon my son mount my own mule and take him down to Gihon. There have Zadok the priest and Nathan the prophet anoint him king over Israel. Blow the trumpet and shout, "Long live King Solomon!'

It is interesting to note that the first two kings over Israel were selections of God. He chose Saul, and then selected David to replace him. In this passage, it seems to be reverting to the sons of the king. David's oldest son Adonijah tried to place himself on the throne and acted precipitously and with arrogance. David had vowed to Bathsheba that their son will be his successor. In the final analysis, it is God who will control the factors of destiny and make his choice. Solomon it the third king to rule over all of Israel, but will be the last king over the whole nation as the nation will indeed divide after his reign.

Daily Prayer: Father, I make plans for myself forgetting that my plans cannot be made apart from you. Any plan that I have will surely fail unless you are with me.. Grant me courage and wisdom to do your will for my life, even if it isn't what I desire for myself. This is because you always do what is best for me and know the beginning from the end. Amen.

No comments: