Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

God's faithfulness is shown through the Shunammite widow (2 Kings 4: 1-7)

One day the widow of one of the LORD's prophets said to Elisha, "You know that before my husband died, he was a follower of yours, but he owed a man money and now that man is on his way to take my two sons as his slaves.." Elisha said, "What do you have in your house?" "Sir, I have nothing but a small bottle of olive oil." Elisha said, "Ask your neighbors for empty jars. And after you've borrowed as many as you can, go home and shut the door and begin filling the jars with oil and set each one aside as you fill it." At last, she said to one of her sons, "Bring me another jar." "We don't have any more," he answered, and the oil stopped flowing from the small bottle. After she told Elisha what had happened, he said, "Sell the oil and use part of the money to pay what you owe and you and your sons can live on what is left." Elisha was a prophet who worked with Elijah before he was taken by God into heaven. He was granted a "double portion" of Elijah's faith. In this story, we have one of the needy widows in Israel who was facing a problem that God alone could solve. She decides to call on the man of God and plead for his mercy. Elijah wanted to do more than solve her problem. He wanted to solve her problem and build her faith in the Living God and show this woman and her household that she can trust in God and He by no way will fall short of her provision. Daily Prayer: Father, all too often when my needs are met in advance and we have savings, I think in my heart, "Look what I have done!" This is the flesh in me that wars with my spirit. And I know that all things work together for good for those who love you and trust in you. So I choose to trust you and not in myself. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: