Total Pageviews

Monday, March 14, 2011

Boaz will redeem Ruth (Ruth 3: 3-5, 11-13)

(Naomi speaking to Ruth) Now take a bath and put on some perfume, then dress in your best clothes. Go where he (Boaz) is working, but don't let him see you until he has finished eating and drinking. Watch where he goes to spend the night, then when he is asleep, lift the cover and lie down at his feet. He will tell you what to do. Ruth answered, "I'll do whatever you say." ( Now Boaz speaks to Ruth) "Don't worry, I'll do what you have asked. You are respected by everyone in town. It's true that I am one of the relatives who is supposed to take care of you, but there is someone who is an even closer relative. Stay here until morning, then I will find out if he is willing to look after you. If he isn't, I promise by the living God to do it myself. Now go back to sleep until morning."

Ruth is a Moabite which means her Hebrew heritage is a mixed one from inter-marrying. Jews traditionally do not respect or welcome the Moabites. In this instance, however, actions speak louder than words. Because Ruth has purity of motive and a humble heart, the people of Israel love her. They feel her worth is greater than seven Hebrew sons. Boaz can see that she submits to him, who is an older man, and he loves her for that. He vows by the living God to make sure that she and Naomi are cared for. Vows, as we have seen, should be made with great discretion.
But Boaz is a man of good reputation and he will not delay in his word.

Daily Prayer: Father, all too often I think of myself. Even in good works that I do, somewhere in my mind lies a selfish motive. So I ask that you create in me a clean heart and a contrite spirit. In your holy name I pray Amen.

No comments: